Utah Geek Events - Smart Cities and Connected Communities Competition
There is $25,000 in funding to develop applications or technologies for Smart Cities and Connected Communities. Technologies must require high speed internet
What We Are Looking For
Smart Community Gigabit or Ultra-Low Latency Applications; Streaming Interactive Virtual or Augmented Reality; Applications where
Interactive video, 4K video, 360 degree video, or 3D video is required; Interactive Big Data Visualization; Smart City Internet of Things doing real-time ultra-low latency control of actuators, signs, signals, etc. (Cyber-physical Systems); Anything that couldn’t run effectively on less than gigabit-class networking that can be tested and deployed on the UTOPIA Fiber Network.
The End Product Must Have a Gigabit Application
A gigabit application or service should make a significant impact in education (including workforce development), healthcare, transportation, public safety, clean energy, advanced manufacturing, or have other direct visible impact that will be widely appreciated by Utah citizens.
Utah Ignite is a partnership between the Lehi Area Chamber of Commerce and US Ignite, a program under the National Science Foundation. Utah Ignite is one of about 25 Smart Gigabit Communities (SGC) throughout the United States.
“US Ignite spurs the creation of next-generation applications and services that leverage advanced networking technologies to build the foundation for smart communities, including cities, rural areas, regions, and states. The nonprofit organization helps to accelerate new wired and wireless networking advances from research to prototype to full-scale smart community and interconnected national deployments.”
Utah Ignite is also an important part of the Utah Smart City Eco-System. As a Gigabit Community, Utah Ignite Exists to Find the New Light Bulbs for the Internet Age. “Electricity is history. Today we face the next-generation infrastructure: gigabit networks. Global visionaries here in Utah see the need for these communication networks, even as they struggle to explain the “light bulb” that will make it plain why a super-fast Internet network is as necessary as running water and a universal electric grid.”
Utah Geek Events
Utah Geek Events is a non-profit built by the community for the community
Register for upcoming events. Submit presentations and speak to help build the community. Sponsor the community and build your company. Software Development training for geeks of all kinds and ages!
The best place for free training, speaking, and competitions.
Largest Community Events of thier kind! Register for Utah Code Camp, Code Camp for Kids, Sharepoint Saturday, Big Mountain Data Spring, Intermountain Big Data Conference and SQL Saturday in the Fall, Competitions and more!
Connect with the community for videos, training and to hear about upcoming events
Utah Geek Events – Smart Cities and Connected Communities Competition Details
Join the Competition at Utah Geek Events: Click Here to Join
$25K potential award here are the details/requirements.
- This page https://www.utahignite.com/what-is-a-gigabit-application/ covers qualifications/requirements. Questions about ideas topics need to speak with Peter Jay([email protected])
- Deadline will be Mid August (we will get a firm date soon).
- Example Spreadsheet for invoicing for funds is listed at this link. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-p33wtY0mhpbmxwYV9NLUcyREkxM2swRFhETUFjalpNNGhZ/view?usp=sharing
- Track other related expenses for running the event, besides food, (e.g. electronics platforms, direct costs needed to make the events happen).
- Track all hours so that you know what can be invoiced. (compensated at 75$/hr)
- Winners will be chosen. Early August.
Targeting Smart City applications and especially those that take advantage of gigabit networking, latency, real time impact. NSF grant is for gigabit smart city eco-system. Here is the link to Gigabit Application Requirements
- Runner up teams can receive award funding at the discretion of US Ignite.
- First prize is “up to” $25,000. Utah Ignite will recognize the winning application with award funds of up to $25,000. Runners up may receive award funding as well at the discretion of US Ignite.